Start Something Bold is a Product Innovation & Strategy Firm. We navigate the complexity of innovation, so our clients can see and pursue opportunities they didn’t realize existed. We help our clients with Market Strategies, Front-End Innovation, Product Innovation, and building an internal Growth Engine.
We’re passionate about enabling our clients to deliver the right products to market. By understanding user needs and building empathy for our clients’ customers, we gain new insights and form strategies for growth. As design thinkers, we know how to quickly translate research learnings into strategic directions that set our client’s products apart from the competition. As a boutique firm, we move fast to provide recommendations needed to make quick and well-informed business decisions.
Start Something Bold has a collaborative, autonomous, and entrepreneurial culture that’s constantly pushing the bounds of ‘what if.’ Our team is built of researchers, designers, biomedical engineers, and new product development experts with experience helping Industrial Automation, Medical Device, Healthcare, and Consumer Products companies realize growth.
We’re looking for someone with an insatiable curiosity, passion for shaping the future, and drive that constantly WOWs our clients. This person will work on projects conducting research and be responsible for delivering and communicating insights to our clients.
Client Work (90% of time)
Projects // Start Something Bold works with clients to deliver comprehensive strategies and a robust innovation pipeline.
- Prepare for research by defining research objectives and writing discussion guides
- Conduct research in clinical environments to build empathy for users
- Moderate and oversee research which may include: observational and ethnography, in-depth interviews, and concept testing
- Work to uncover user needs and problems seen through the eyes of users
- Translate research into meaningful insights that are actionable
- Use design skills to communicate research findings and tell customer stories
- Collaborate with team members to deliver highest standards of work
- Ability to clearly articulate research findings across different stakeholder audiences
General (10% of time)
Start Something Bold is focused on building a great company that delivers superior results for our clients and makes a distinctive impact for our clients.
- Communicate Start Something Bold’s value and unique differentiation in the market
- Contribute to refinement of Start Something Bold’s products, services, and future development of new solutions
SITUATION ANALYSIS & KEY INITIATIVES FOR FIRST 12 MONTHS
We are a growing boutique firm and we’re looking to hire the right person. What we do is not easy, simple, or by the book—so a certain level of on-the-job learning is to be expected, but our ideal hire will have relevant experience and a positive attitude to help our team immediately.
KEY BACKGROUND REQUIREMENTS
The ideal candidate will have at least 4 years experience conducting qualitative research and using design to communicate key findings:
- Familiarity with Stanford’s Biodesign process a plus
- Moderate qualitative research and conduct in-depth interviews
- Ability to identify and categorize user needs from research
- Experience using observational research, time-motion studies, and ethnography to learn how users’ behave
- Build visuals that may include: stakeholder maps, empathy maps, personas, and journey/care path maps
- Present to all levels of the organization including CEO’s, Presidents, and C-suite executives
- Experience in the Healthcare and Medical Devices markets
The successful candidate should have these key personal traits:
- Strong character that builds trust of our brand in the community and with clients
- Acts decisively to tackle difficult problems, perseveres in the face of challenges, and takes the lead on unpopular and difficult situations
- Communicates with confidence and steadiness in the face of uncertainty, and adapts quickly to new situations
- Reflects on and learns from experiences, understands personal strengths and weaknesses and how to compensate with others around them
- Must be self-motivated and hardworking, able to function largely on their own with minimal day-to-day direction
- Creative and can quickly come up with ideas that solve problems for customers
- Thrives while working on hard problems and solving them in unique and new ways
- Visually and verbally able to tell stories that connect with customers
- Dot connector that always has their eyes and ears open
- Ask good questions and is able to communicate/connect with a wide variety of people
We are seeking diversity of experiences that may include a degree in any of these fields that demonstrates the ability to conduct research and creatively solve problems.
- Industrial Design
- Design Communication
- BioMedical Engineering
Travel is required domestically and internationally to support projects. Frequency and duration varies based upon project requirements. Must have a passport, driver's license, and be efficient working in airport lounges.